Saturday, April 30, 2011

I've been biking a lot lately.  When I first moved here, it was a little hard for me to get used to.  It's definitely not like back home where I could just hop on a blacktop and go for miles.  My bike has been a project for about a year now, and I'm just so in love with it.  I don't mind the process, in fact I adore it.  I checked out Superb Bicycle yesterday and they were great! I had a broken saddle, and the people who helped me were extremely helpful and friendly.  Other cyclists in the shop were also great to talk to.  That's one thing I notice about the cycling world.  It doesn't matter if you are really into riding your road bike, or just commuting around town; there is really a camaraderie amongst cyclists.  Even today, I went into REI for a little problem I had (ok......I know. I need to learn how to change a flat.  Where's Dad when you need him?) and another cyclist was in there with some questions about clip-less pedals.  While waiting, we instantly had a lot to talk about: he gave me some ideas for trails to ride around here, and I sympathized with the short, but definite struggle when changing to clip-less pedals.
This brings a question to mind.  Why isn't there a similar camaraderie amongst musicians? Maybe I'm not a cyclist who does anything competitive, and perhaps that's why I don't feel that vibe from other cyclists.  I kind of think that as much as musicians are trained to become masters at their instruments, they are also extremely trained to strive to be the best, and therefore to be super competitive.  But to make music, we need to do it together.  In my opinion, this mindset is so backwards.  How can you make great music when the people you play with are waiting...no, actually hoping to see you fail?

current state 
not much of a view from down here, but am glad to enjoy this weather!!

kitty wants to join me

it is soooo green outside!! i love love LOVE it!!
I am typing this post outside on our porch, and naturally took a couple pictures.  Poor Kitty; she would like to come out to enjoy this amazing weather too!

1 comment:

  1. this was a really fun post to read! i also find that same camaraderie among cyclists, especially between all the year-round commuters at pearson.

    btw...i don't think you can make great music if your colleagues are hoping for one another to fail.

    also...sweet green selvedge.

    ReplyDelete